The American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry (AAPD) and American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) recommend bringing your child to see a pediatric dentist for their first visit between 6-12 months of age, certainly no later than his/her first birthday.
Steps for baby’s first PEEK-A-BOO visit:
- Clinical exam to evaluate proper growth and development of the head & neck region, and proper teeth and soft tissue development.
- Demonstrate proper oral hygiene techniques for infants and toddlers.
- Provide guidance on dietary needs and habits.
- Discuss proper Fluoride intake for infants.
- Discuss oral habits and when to wean habits such as pacifier, thumb sucking, bottles and sippy cups.
- Injury prevention counseling and what to do in case of dental emergencies.
- Caries Risk Assessment: Inform parents of whether your child is at risk of developing future cavities.
- Develop an individualized home care routine for your child, so we can PREVENT future cavities.